The 2023 CAAA Scholarship application is now open!
CAAA is proud to present the scholarship program for 2023! As a non-profit organization dedicated to sharing the rich cultural heritage of the abacus, CAAA awards scholarships annually to eligible abacus and mental arithmetic students. It is our mission to encourage and reward students who have shown outstanding performance and growth over the years.
Who may apply?
Students who fulfill all five (5) of the following criteria:
- Students of abacus and mental arithmetic who are enrolled in school grade 6 or above (2022/23 school year).
- Students of abacus and mental arithmetic who have taken the annual assessment test, in one of two subject areas, abacus or mental arithmetic, in 2021 and 2022, and will take the assessment test in 2023.
- Students who have passed the abacus and/or mental arithmetic assessment test, including the 2023 Annual Assessment Test, with grade level 2 or higher.
- Students who have been recommended by a member teacher of CAAA.
- Past scholarship winners may not apply for a scholarship of the same category.
- Complete the application form to its entirety. You may apply for only one type of scholarship: either abacus or mental arithmetic, not both. You must have taken the annual assessment test in the subject area for which you are applying for in both 2021 and 2022, will take the assessment test in 2023, and have passed or will pass grade level 2 or higher.
- Complete all required supplemental material (i.e. essays). Compose two (2) short essays that answer the following prompts. Limit your response to 500 words per essay.
Prompt #2 - Thinking back to when you were beginning to learn abacus or mental math, what advice or encouragement would you give your younger self? OR
Prompt #3 - Looking forward, what do you see yourself doing with abacus or mental math? How can it continue to benefit you, and how can you use your abacus or mental math skills and knowledge to give back to your classroom, CAAA, or the wider community?
3. Submit your completed application form and supplemental material electronically by Sunday, May 14, 2023, 11:59 PM Pacific.
4. Request a letter of recommendation from your current instructor, who will submit the recommendation directly to CAAA at email@example.com.
**Applications must be received electronically by Sunday, April 30, 2023, 11:59 PM Pacific to be considered. No exceptions.** CAAA will not be held responsible for providing confirmation upon the receipt of applications. Please visit the FAQ if you need further clarification, or send your inquiries to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- 50% of the final score will be based on originality, creativity, style, and how well the applicant embraced the essay prompts.
- 45% of the final score will be based on the last 2 consecutive assessment test scores.
- 5% of the final score will be based on the strength of the letter of recommendation.
Scholarships will be awarded to the finalists. Each scholarship recipient will also receive a certificate and be recognized at the Annual Assessment Test & Scholarship Award Ceremony in his/her testing region (if such a ceremony is held). Please note that scholarships will not be awarded if the 2023 Assessment Test is not held.
CAAA Community Service Award
The CAAA Community Service Award is a separate for award for those who are in Grades 11 or 12 (Class of 2023 or 2024) and who volunteer with abacus (in the classroom or in the community) and have not previously received the Community Service Award. (You do not have to be a current abacus/mental math student.) Please fill out the Community Service Award application form, and send it to email@example.com by May 21.