The 2020 CAAA Scholarship Program has been cancelled due to the coronavirus outbreak and the cancellation of the Northern California assessment test. We apologize to all students who applied. We appreciate your dedication to abacus and mental math, and hope you will apply again next year.
CAAA is proud to present the scholarship program for 2020! As a non-profit organization dedicated to sharing the rich cultural heritage of the abacus, CAAA awards scholarships annually to eligible abacus and mental arithmetic students. It is our mission to encourage and reward students who have shown outstanding performance and growth over the years.
Please note that none of the criteria or essay prompts have changed between 2019 and 2020. If you applied for a scholarship in the past and are again applying this year, please submit new, original essays for this year's scholarship. Scholarships will not be awarded in 2020 if the 2020 Assessment Test is not held.
Who may apply?
Students who fulfill all five (5) of the following criteria:
- Students of abacus and mental arithmetic who were enrolled in school grade 6 or above (2019/20 school year).
- Students of abacus and mental arithmetic who have taken the annual assessment test, in one of two subject areas, abacus or mental arithmetic, for 3 consecutive years, including the 2020 Annual Assessment Test.
- Students who have passed the abacus and/or mental arithmetic assessment test, including the 2020 Annual Assessment Test, with grade level 2 or higher.
- Students who have been recommended by a member teacher of CAAA.
- Past scholarship winners may not apply for a scholarship of the same category.
- Complete the application form to its entirety. You may apply for only one type of scholarship: either abacus or mental arithmetic, not both. You must have taken the annual assessment test in the subject area for which you are applying for 3 consecutive years, including the 2020 Annual Assessment Test, and have passed grade level 2 or higher.
- Complete all required supplemental material (i.e. essays). Compose two (2) short essays that answer the following prompts. Limit your response to 500 words per essay.
Essay Prompt #2 (required): Write a letter to your past self. Think back to the time when you were beginning to learn the abacus and mental math. If you were to write a letter to send back in time to your younger self, what would you say? What advice and encouragement would you give?
3. Submit your completed application form and supplemental material electronically by Wednesday, July 15, 2020, 11:59 PM PDT.
4. Request a letter of recommendation from your current instructor, who will submit the recommendation directly to CAAA at email@example.com.
**Applications must be received electronically by Wednesday, July 15, 2020, 11:59 PM PDT to be considered. No exceptions.** CAAA will not be held responsible for providing confirmation upon the receipt of applications. Please visit the FAQ if you need further clarification, or send your inquiries to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- 50% of the final score will be based on originality, creativity, style, and how well the applicant embraced the essay prompts.
- 45% of the final score will be based on the last 3 consecutive assessment test scores.
- 5% of the final score will be based on the strength of the letter of recommendation.
Scholarships will be awarded to the finalists. Each scholarship recipient will also receive a certificate and be recognized at the Annual Assessment Test & Scholarship Award Ceremony in his/her testing region. Please note that scholarships will not be awarded if the 2020 Assessment Test is not held.